Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 48: Harrisville to Elkins, WV

Today's ride was another banner day. It was just a beautiful ride through West Virginia. Hadley's mom, Beth, her friend Julie & I have formed the senior's team & rode much of the day together. Scheduled for 82 miles, some rerouting was needed & the day wound up at 101-102 miles. One more century before the end of the journey.
WV was gorgeous, but very hilly today through the Appalachians. With a net gain of about 2000 feet, we had about 10,000 ft of vertical climbing with about 8,000 feet of decents. A few climbs hit 14-15% grades; as steep as we've had all trip, including Mount Solidad in San Diego & some climbs outside of Boulder, Utah. I have some videos, but that will have to wait until I have a faster web connection. Stay tuned... Here's some pics.
Oh, I want to tell you about a guy I rode with today. While riding over 100 miles, I was joined late in the day by an old friend for the trip into Elkins. The shadow rider paced me for a time then pulled up along side to keep me company until I got to town. Good to see you, buddy!

--Steve

1 comment:

Carol said...

Welcome to "Almost Heaven" and them thar hills!!

My brother's kids are hoping not to have to go back this year!!

Down the home stretch!!