Thursday, May 21, 2009

Petersburg WV & Front Royal VA

We're almost home! After leaving Elkins, I was on my last support day with Team East Side as we headed to Petersburg. The ride was planned for 59 miles, but some of the roads turned out to be gravel & the rerouting added another 20 miles to a day that was already tough with long steep climbs & hot, sunny weather. In an attempt to ease the pain, I brought ice cream sandwiches to the lunch stop. This helped some, I think.
Our overnight was in a barn at the fairgrounds. Not bad, but several of us chose to make "alternate" arrangements (hotels). This morning, we left for Front Royal, VA. WV is a very beautiful state, but the Appalachian mountains are unavoidable. We've done our last climbing for the trip & once we crossed into Virginia, it was all rolling hills for the last 30 miles or so.

Tonight we're staying at the Front Royal Fire Department. Tomorrow we arrive in DC at the Lincoln Memorial; 95 miles with the last 50 on a bike path. I'm going to enjoy this last big day. Saturday we have a Solidarity ride & Sunday we ride about 30-40 miles into Bethany Beach for a ceremonial dip of our tires into the Atlantic Ocean. Then I'm coming home. I'll continue this blog for a few days after the ride to get the videos posted & some final thoughts, too. This has been everything I'd expected & more. Good work for a good cause with good people & an adventure that I'll always remember. Also, I'm in great shape for cycling this summer. --Steve

2 comments:

jflan said...

congrats steve!

Carol said...

Glad to see you're almost "home". Congrats!! Carol