Friday, May 29, 2009

R4WH 2009 Epilogue

Well, it's Friday afternoon. I've been home for 5 days now. My clothes have been laundered, my bike got a much needed bath. I've been out for a couple of rides & have one with friends planned for Sunday in Chester County. I've showered every day & slept in the same bed all week; my familiar, ultracomfortable waterbed. I've had dinner with family & met up with a few friends to catch up on each other's past 2 months. I've fretted over paying for my son's college. Tomorrow I return to my aikido practice. Monday, I go back to work. :-( Looks like life is getting back to normal for me.

I have just a couple more things I've been thinking about, then I'll be done. I do miss my teammates & hope that in some small ways, we'll keep in touch. This trip has been profound & I hope you've gotten a sense of that from reading along with me.

I've seen the country in a way few get to see it. I've met people & been to places that I otherwise would never have had the chance to do. From big cities like LA, Vegas & Kansas City to towns of 140 people total like Boulder & Hanksville in Utah.

I've also learned exactly how powerful the Internet & this thing called "blogging" can be. A few years ago, my uncle went on RAGBRAI & his son, my cousin, started a blog for him. I called it a sort of web diary; that was all I knew of it. So, I started this blog primarily as a way to allow those who donated & supported my ride to keep tabs on me along the way. It became much more.

First, I found out that some of my teammates, Christian for example, had parents & grandparents that read my blog to see how we were doing. Then, I started meeting people along the way who seemed to already know me. I would introduce myself as "Steve" & they would say something like: "Yes, Steve Klein. I've been reading your blog. Thank you." From parents to OSUMC faculty, to my own friends, knowing that people were reading kept me writing; I felt I had a real reason to keep posting. I hope they weren't too rambling, including this one. OK, this 1 rambles, but it's the last one, I'm sure.

One more thing. If any of you are in the Philadelphia area, here's a list of bike rides this summer. I'll be doing the ACS ride in July & the MS150 in October for sure as well as others as I can. Get out & ride & maybe I'll see you there.

So, thank you all for following along & letting me know it was worthwhile. I certainly enjoyed doing it (the blog & the ride, of course)! TTFN (Ta Ta For Now) ---Steve

1 comment:

Trauda said...

Thanks Steve for your blog and your pictures!
You kept us connected to all of the riders with your posts. We checked each day to see if there was any new information. Alissa was not too forthcoming with the challenges of the ride, and you gave a very good perspective for us. We are grateful.
Trauda and Harry Gilbert